While most configuration is accessed through the Administer | Configure Device section, configuration that is specific to individual web pages is accessed through those pages. To configure these pages, log in as the Administrator and then click on the Customize Page button.
- Dashboards – Determines the contents and layout of the Dashboard pages
- All Production – Determines the hierarchy of assets and Information to View selections displayed in the All Production page
Most configuration data is displayed in tables that support in-line editing. Simply double-click on a value to enable it for editing. To learn more about a given property, hover the mouse over the information symbol and a pop-up hint will be displayed with helpful information about the property.
Configuration data can be modified while the XL device is operating (i.e. monitoring production); however, only Web Page Properties, Web Page Interface configuration, and Messages can be permanently changed while the device is operating by clicking on the Save button. All other configuration data is modified in a two step process:
- In the first step, modifications are accepted by clicking on the Accept Changes button which temporarily saves the modifications to the XL device. Any number of configuration pages can be modified and accepted in this fashion. Accepted changes have no effect on device operation and are abandoned if power is removed from the XL device. If a page is exited without accepting changes, those changes will be lost!
- In the second step, all modifications that have been accepted are made permanent by launching the Configuration Tools wizard by clicking on the More Options button and then clicking on Program Configuration to Device. After configuration has been programmed to the XL device, the device will automatically reboot (which is similar to cycling power). Since the device should not be rebooted while monitoring production, it is best to program configuration between production shifts or during production breaks.
The Configuration Tools wizard provides three tools, each with step-by-step guided assistance:
- Program Configuration to Device – Programs configuration changes to the device and then reboots the device.
- Import Configuration from File – Loads a complete set of configuration data from a file, programs it to the device, and then reboots the device.
- Export Configuration to File – Exports the current device configuration to a file.
It is important to backup device configuration by exporting it before and/or after you make changes. When exported, all configuration data for a given device is stored within one XML file. Exported configuration can also be imported to other XL devices, which makes it easy to “clone” the operation of one device to another.